As an internal recruiter on a day to day basis, I speak to so many different people from all kinds of different backgrounds who have applied to join my company as a recruitment consultant.
Recruitment is a hugely diverse role requiring many skills to be utilised simultaneously. A consultant needs to; sell their services, build and maintain relationships, negotiate, persuade, problem solve, show initiative, depth of understanding and expertise of their market area and be able to foresee potential issues and consider solutions.
One of the first questions I ask when speaking to a candidate is "why do you want to get into recruitment?"
The responses I have received to this question vary so greatly - some of which are in-depth and fantastic - some of which leave me sitting scratching my head and wondering what on earth would possess someone who has no awareness of a job/career to apply.
Ranging from "It's just a really relaxed and sociable role and I'm not ready to adapt to a real job yet" to "Someone once said I would be good, so I took their word for it".
When entering the job market it can be really overwhelming as the variety of roles available and the subjects that now fit into them are so diverse. It's excellent to be able to explore your opportunities and understand what kind of role would be best suited to you and in what kind of environment you would thrive.
One of the main things to take into account when looking for a career is really researching your options and understanding the roles and markets that you are applying for.
- What main skills do you have/have you developed so far in your academic/professional life?
- How do these transfer across to your area of interest?
- What is your greatest achievement to date and what does this say about you?
- What are your main aims in the short, medium and long-term?
- Pursue your passions - it may not always be the most obvious route - but understand where your skills could be best applied. Don't just get a job for the sake of having a role - really follow what you love and you will find a role and industry you will thrive in.